Pipeline Prioritization is a critical process for a Sales Manager to coach their reps – see “Sales Coaching on Pipeline Management and Sales Forecasting“.
Here is what Sales Manager should coach reps to start by looking at these key factors in their pipeline:
- Opp Age or Duration in Stages = length of stay (red flag if ~ length for Lost Deals)
- Opportunity Size vs. Won Deals Size (look at Lost Deals)
- Expected Opp $Value Changes – frequent changes in opportunity $ amount aka “expected deal value”
- Time Slippage – frequent changes or pushes of “projected close dates”
- Engagement – if the buyer is taking more meetings (3-5, not just 1) and it they engage and come through on their micro-commitments then the Opp should be prioritized
Also – a few extras for advanced Pipeline Prioritization coaching:
- Unusual or unexpected Non-Linear Stage Leaps
- Pipeline Velocity aka Pipeline Turnover = “length of your selling period” / length of stay in the stage
- Negative Velocity at later stages
For more details and identifying “Pipeline Red Flags” – see this prior article “Sales Management: Pipeline “Red Flags” that Sales Managers Must Assess With their Reps“.
Original is posted at Revenue-Inc.com: Coaching Sales Reps on Pipeline Prioritization.